Tuesday, March 18, 2008

On Motherhood (part 2)

In the last post, On Motherhood (part 1) I shared my heart on how my perspective of motherhood has changed so much in the last few years and how grateful I am for being a mom. In this post I am going to attempt sharing my heart on the good, the bad and the ugly of motherhood.

The Good:
-being greeted in the morning with a big old smile and full of energy child.
The Bad:
-being greeted after a nap when he didn't rest well and won't stop crying.
The Ugly:
-being greeted in the morning with an exploded diaper of the smelliest substance known to man. What in the world did he eat?!

The Good:
-when praying for someone, seeing him have compassion and lay hands on them as well and say a loud "AMEN" or "Hallelujah"
The Bad:
-needing to pray for bumps or bruises, bad dreams, or better attitudes (in me as well as him)
The Ugly:
-in the midst of a temper tantrum praying for the grace of God to help me not lose it!

The Good:
-Talking to EVERYONE who passes by in a store.
The Bad:
-Talking to EVERYONE in the store when I am trying to go quickly/quietly.
The Ugly:
-Me trying to calm a crying baby and an obnoxious 2 yr old at the same time in front of EVERYONE at a store.

The Good:
-Seeing my child's face light up when he learns something new.
The Bad:
-Seeing my face "light up" when he refuses to learn a new concept/obedience.
The Ugly:
-Spilling the paint/coloring on surfaces/trashing the place in the midst of learning something new.

The Good: Watching my 2 yr old talk to my 3 month old and kiss him.
The Good: Watching the boys love on my husband & vice versa.
The Good: Watching them smile.
The Good: A full night nap and night of sleep.
The Good: Watching my 2 yr old act like daddy.
The Good: Watching them play with growing imagination.
The Good: Watching them grow to love God and love others.


In the midst of the bad and ugly times I find encouragement in the book of Philippians.
Even in the days where there is a lot of those bad and uglies and it's hard to make it through, as you can see the Good so outweighs the bad and the ugly.

"Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in ALL circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus." 1 Thess. 5:16-18

Motherhood is always a reward.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I agree 100%. It can be challenging at times, but the good outweighs the bad with a huge margin.

Kristin Sheffield said...

Amy that post is such a blessing to me. It is so awesome to be able to walk next to such a wise woman. Your perspectives on parenting definitely help me prepare and inspire me in so many ways. I am so thankful for our friendship and for your family as a whole!

Hope said...

Thanks for this post, Amy! I needed a little perspective! We're potty training (going on almost a year now) and it's UGLY but your'e right, the goods definitely outweigh the bad by a landslide!