Saturday, May 17, 2008

Speaking of Weddings...

Some good friends of ours are getting married this weekend...congrats Katie & Dave! And in honor I thought I'd share a funny story from Ross & I, pre-engagement.

At this point in our relationship we had only been dating a few months and I was meeting all his friends from back home (a real close group of guys) and their girlfriends as we went to one of his friends weddings. 

It was storming outside, worse than I've ever been in before- rain blowing sideways and all. We were in a rush because we were running late to the wedding and I reached into my purse to pull out my jewelry and throw it on as we were running through the rain to the church doors. I left my purse in the car because it wasn't fancy enough to bring in.

As we went in through the church doors, we stood at the back looking for a place to sit when one of Ross' friends' girlfriend looked over at my hand and said loudly- "oh my gosh did you guys get engaged?!" I looked down and realized I had put a ring on that was a fake engagement ring (I guess I threw it in my purse from when I would wear it at work to keep guys from talking to me). I quickly flipped it around on my finger and said "no, why?" before anyone else could figure out what was happening (including Ross). Oh...the story gets better...

So we sat down in a pew and we were real crowded. I held my hands behind my back to take the ring off, but in the process of the summer heat, nervousness, etc, the ring was stuck. I finally yanked it off and elbowed Ross in the process. At that point I realized I had no purse or pockets to stick the ring in so I looked at Ross and told him "I am going to put something in your pocket, but you have to promise me you won't take it out!" He was totally confused, but I couldn't explain why I had that with me in the church at the moment. 

So the ceremony wraps up and head to the reception...I forget about the ring in the pocket. We are at the reception and I am meeting all his friends and he reaches into his pocket and pulls out this obnoxiously huge engagement ring! Ross holds out the ring and goes "What is this?" 

All I hear is "OHHH!... WOW!... Is he really proposing right now??.....etc." I turn BRIGHT Red! How do I explain this??? All of his friends think he is proposing, and yet he is wondering what in the world is Amy doing? I quickly jump in and say "oh no, it was a joke, an inside joke" (meanwhile I am mortified in my mind and just going crazy thinking of how embarrassing this was and how Ross was going to handle it after only a few months of dating.) Happy to say, he didn't dump me!

So that is the story...The Fake Engagement Part 1- I have many more to follow up from our dating process in posts to come.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

wow, that's funny; my name is amy middleton too. i was just google-ing my name and found you. thought i'd say hi.

nice blog.


amy

Angel said...

Seriously, this is TV worthy! Who writes this stuff????

portorikan said...

You should start working on a book.

Amy Middleton said...

consider this blog a place to start in writing a book...as I remember funny stories I write them here, then one day I have a place to refer to for my real book. ha!

Kristin Sheffield said...

Haha another great Amy story :) I love them and will totally buy your book one day :)

portorikan said...

When it comes book time, you should look into http://www.blurb.com/

I used it to put together a photo album of Nat and my wedding from the photographer's photos. Both mom's loved it and the quality was pretty good.

I totally rocked both of my moms that Mother's Day.

:)

portorikan said...

Oh yeah... you can see a preview of it here:

http://www.blurb.com/bookstore/detail/47593/?utm_source=badge&utm_medium=banner&utm_content=280x160