Tuesday, May 13, 2008

Chivalry & Etiquette

Want to stand out from the crowd? Want to make an impact the first time you meet someone? Want to know some of the keys to sweeping Mr. or Mrs. Right off their feet? 

I think it can begin with Chivalry & Etiquette. These words seem to have disappeared from the American Culture these days and I want to be a catalyst to bring them back! 

What is Chivalry? It entails qualities idealized by knighthood, bravery, courtesy, honor and gallantry towards women.

What is Etiquette? One definition actually says to stand out, be polite, rules for correct or socially acceptable behavior (unfortunately what is socially acceptable today is way different than in the past).

In this day and age it is so rare to see Chivalry or Etiquette happen. I love the movie Kate & Leopold because it points out how far we have come from that, and that movie makes chivalry so attractive. When I was younger my great aunt had me and my girl cousins over to her house one day for etiquette training. We all dressed up and spent the whole day learning how to set and serve a table properly, how to dress, eat, drink, sit, and speak with poise. Basically how to be a real lady. I will always remember that day because it made me feel so sophisticated, and like a princess. 

One of the first things that stood out to me about Ross when we started dating was that he would hold the door open for me, pull out my chair and carry heavy items for me. He always treated (and still does) with respect and honor. This was definitely something none of my previous boyfriends had ever done for me, and it really made me realize this guy was different. 

Chivalry isn't just holding a door open though, it's a mind set, it's an attitude of the heart. Men, if you really respect women and care about them you will show it by your actions. If you want to leave an impression on a woman- honor her and treat her like a princess (after all, she is a princess of the King of Kings). It's time you go above and beyond in how you treat women, it's time to stand apart from the rest of this selfish generation and be a sacrificial brave knight and sweep these ladies off their feet...it's time for the Knight in Shining Armor to come riding up and rescue women from the filth of the world. 

I know I am totally sounding old school and like a softy saying we need to be rescued, because it seems like women across the world have been fighting so hard for equality that if a man were to ask to help carry her heavy bag it would be offensive- how twisted is that if you really think about it? I apologize to the men out there for making it hard for you to act chivalrous towards us (me)...for blowing it off or for not appreciating it, or for thinking that just because you held open a door for me, you "like" me. I apologize on behalf of women for sending messages that would make chivalry die. 

It's time we do these things with no agenda but to serve and honor. It is also about time to bring back some etiquette, women, let's give these men a reason to be honored, lets live like the beautiful princess that God created us to be, to give these men something worth sacrificing for. I think it's about time we sent America through a Chivalry and Etiquette training day and see what would happen!  

1 comment:

Erin said...

Oh my gosh! Did you read my blog yesterday? It was about a call for chivalry! I totally agree! Just a little consideration, respect, thoughtfulness and politeness would be so refreshing and appreciated!