Sunday, May 25, 2008

Fake Engagement Stories 2

In my previous post, called Speaking of Weddings... I shared a fake engagement story from Ross' and my dating years. Here is another one.

At this point in our relationship it had been almost a year and a half of dating, we had our college graduation dates set, and had started talking about what the future held. We had talked a little bit about where we were headed- towards marriage and a time frame for it. So as you can expect, I was feeling a proposal coming sometime in the near future, considering we both wanted to go in to full time ministry right after graduating and going to a graduate school together in Los Angeles. 

We went on a little trip down to Clearwater, where my family is from to visit one weekend and had a little date out at the beach. It was a beautiful night and I was thinking to myself- the timing couldn't be more perfect...the atmosphere was gorgeous, and we were in looooove.

We ate a nice dinner and went for a walk on the beach. We passed the pier and there was a wedding reception going on just ahead with a pretty tent and romantic music playing by the DJ in the back ground. It was perfect! The stars were out and the breeze was cool....I was starting to get butterflies. 

We came up to the wood lounge benches that are on the beach and I sat down. Ross sat down next to me, then leaned forward quickly...going down on ONE KNEE!! THIS IS IT! My heart started racing...I was trying so hard to hide my excitement on my face.

He reaches in his pocket... and pulls out his CELL PHONE! 

It turns out he had NO idea what was going on in my head, he just couldn't sit on the bench right with his cell phone in his pocket so he was adjusting. My heart stopped! I almost got mad at him! haha. (ok maybe I did a little) How could he trick me like that??!! I never told him about that moment until we did finally get engaged.

Just a few short weeks later the real event happened, but I'm not there yet, gotta share more fake engagement stories still....

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

You must have really wanted me......bad.

portorikan said...

@Ross - lol

Good stuff. Wow, I can't wait for the stories as the kids get older.

The Ross' said...

Man oh Man! These are gooooood! You guys are so funny. I look forward to hearing more.

random question...what resources have you guys used/read in the area of boundaries/discipline for kids that have been helpful. At the moment I'm reading Shepherding a Child's Heart by Tripp. And any words of wisdom as we venture into this new stage of life?

Thanks!! Becca

Kristin Sheffield said...

haha i love it!

Anonymous said...

Classic! :)