Sunday, April 27, 2008

Communication 102

In follow up from my previous blog a while ago called Communication 101 in talking about girl/guy relationships, and how not to ask a girl out...here is my 2 cents on even getting to that point.

Men: please do not treat single women like they have the plague.
Women: here is a word from the Lord "Stop putting they guys last name on your name."

Let me explain...

To get from point A to point B, whatever that may be...you must make a move. I know this sounds profound but You must actually DO something. For you men out there...the first step to anything whether it be friendship or eventually dating, you need to actually open your mouth and speak. You need to actually be chivalrous and open the door for them. You need to get over your insecurities and break down those awkward moments with a smile and say an encouraging word. The #1 reason you haven't met a "girl worth dating" is because you haven't stepped out and actually met anyone deeper. I'm not speaking to anyone specific here, this is just a general blanket statement to the men I know in the Christian world that seem to be afraid of women.

I'm not trying to be mean, but what's the deal? I think there is a major need for improvement in this area in the Christian circles I am familiar with. I know it's probably not in your heart that women are scary, but don't be afraid that every girl is going to think you want something more by just befriending them. It is crucial for your life to have friendships with the opposite sex, whether or not it leads to something more. That is the Kingdom of God. You are going to spend eternity with the opposite sex, learn how to be friends with them now! (that is supposed to come off as a funny exaggeration). But really. Please start stepping out there and build some healthy relationships with no strings attached...with no ulterior motives...with purity of heart and mind. It will do you some good!

And not to just pick on the guys out there...WOMEN listen up! I heard this statement my freshman year, soon after I started living for God. "Stop putting the guys last name on yours." And man was that a word for me! Every decent guy I would meet, my mind would automatically go there...would his name sound good with mine, is he taller than me, does he check off my list...etc. STOP! The best way to meet "the one" is to come with (like I said above to men) purity of heart and mind, with no ulterior motives. When you can be yourself and you aren't putting something out there that is "looking or searching" then HE will see you for who you are and will show up when you are least expecting it. And that comes with the underlying hope that you are active in building friendships with the opposite sex as well.

So you may be asking yourself: "Self, what would it look like to have a healthy relationship with the opposite sex?" Here is my thoughts on that: the best way is hanging out in group settings, like movie nights, dinner out, Actually showing up to events that are going on, game nights, take the initiative to plan something, like day at the beach or bowling or anything. ANYTHING!

What are your thoughts?

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

i want to pass out this blog like its candy to a child. to everyone. all people. everywhere.
word sister.

portorikan said...

@shelby lol!

Nice.

I would agree with you as a married dude.

Anonymous said...

Baby, You are amazing! I miss you. I like my sisters comment, way to be Burnie.

Alison said...

This blog is a word from the Lord! My guy friends are so valuable because I have not only added more friends to my circle, but I have also learned a LOT about men in general. Plus it's nice to have a friend with brute strength! ;o)

I really like what you said about having a pure heart and no ulterior motives. 1 Timothy 5 talks about just that, and purity does not mean no contact. People need to have a little more faith if they think purity is the absence of temptation. Purity happens in the midst of temptation, and it's our faith in God and our reliance on the Holy Spirit that pulls us through the day. So, all of that to say, AWESOME blog!

I, like Shelby, would like to pass this out to all peoples accross the land! ;o)

Amy Middleton said...

shelby, you crack me up...and Great point Alison!

Erin said...

Group functions are a great way to have some good, clean, opposite gender fun! I have made great guy friends with no expectations for relationship just by being part of a group that just hangs out! Great suggestion!

Anonymous said...

I love this, Amy! It's so good, and goes along with what God has been working in me lately as well. I really appreciate your wisdom.

Kristin Sheffield said...

That is so good Amy! And everything you said is totally true.

J.Knight! said...

Great points Amy!!!!!Great, great, great, great great! That's all I can say. Is GREAT!

Angel said...

Hey! I was updating my blog today and put a link on my blog to yours. I wanted to let you know and make sure its ok. God bless!