Thursday, April 24, 2008

Did I Mention Consistency?

One of the biggest compliments someone can give me these days is "wow, your kids are so good". And it's not because it makes me feel like some great mother or something...it's because it makes me realize that the discipline, consistency and sweat and tears are actually starting to pay off (so far).

I don't seem to hear that very often, because I do have an extremely active/expressive little boy. And he's hard to harness sometimes...but when those few times do happen when he listens to me are becoming so much more rewarding.

I was in the park the other day and a random mom and I were talking while our kids were running around like chickens with their heads cut off...and I called for Aiden to come back closer cause they were getting too far away and he actually stopped dead in his tracks and turned around (rare!). The other mom looked at me and said "WOW! Your kid actually listens to you!" I had such a good laugh in my head.

Little did she know what is going on behind the scenes to start to get the slightest sign of obedience out of my 2 yr. old. All I have to say is some people make it look like "yeah my kids were just born with great attitudes and obedience built in" All I can say is HA! I've yet to believe that. It takes consistency in discipline, actually taking the time to make sure the child comprehends what you are teaching, repetition, and did I say consistency?

It's so easy to just let little things slide. But the more and more I get into motherhood the more I see it is those very little things that are critical in harnessing so the big things don't have to be big things.

And for all you who aren't in the boat of parenting...this rings true with life. What God is trying to teach you, what He is trying to get you to obey? Obey in the little things and the big things won't be so hard.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

Hi, fellow Mommy here. Found your blog through a few others.
You are dead on about the consistency. My 18 month old responds better when I use the same verbiage time after time. If I change it up a little he doesn't know what I'm talking about when it comes to discipline. We are working on the stop and come back and he's learning but not perfect yet. He still likes to tease me and run the other way.
I find the hardest part of motherhood is being consistent. And with a toddler that tends to be all day long saying and doing the same things. Many tears and many "Oh, we just went over this two minutes ago" thoughts.
Thanks for the reminder and glimpse of hope.

Angela said...

I was logged on with my other account, this is my blog account.

Kristin Sheffield said...

Amy that is awesome! Great Post!

portorikan said...

Great job and keep up the good work.

I remember as a child people used to come up to our parents all the time complimenting them about how wonderful and well behaved we were.

I don't remember my parent's being a particular way with us, I guess because it's just what I was used to, but compared to how I see some kids act when they're out, I can understand the compliments a little more now.

Jen in Budapest said...

Amy this is awesome! I bet you're doing a great job. It must feel really good when they do well for you somewhat making up for the other days when it's just a pain in the boot-tay.

Lots of love to you and Ross! :D

Jen

Elizabeth said...

HEY!!! I just wanted to tell you how much I greatly appreciate the discipline you use towards your kids. After only 5 days of babysitting the spawn of satan I wish all parents would discipline their kids. You can tell a MAJOR difference in attitude. Your kids are angels, so great job at being a great mom!