Thursday, February 07, 2008

GK Chesterton is brilliant

What- Amy is posting 2x's in one day?! wow! Must be something good, hopefully.

So if any of you know Pastor Chip Buhler you are familiar with the name GK Chesterton. He was a famous author in the late 1800s- early 1900s. He actually was a big influence on CS Lewis and many other well known authors.

Well, last night I was watching a show on CBS and they ended the show on a GK Chesterton quote which led me to then go and look up some of his quotes on the internet...I read so many that were so right on that I almost want to start a GK Chesterton weekly thought on this blog! haha. (Pastor Chip would be proud!)

Here are a few of my favorites:

"A true soldier fights not because he hates what is in front of him, but because he loves what is behind him."

"In the struggle for existence, it is only on those who hang on for ten minutes after all is hopeless, that hope begins to dawn."

"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against it."

"Men do not differ much about what things they will call evils; they differ enormously about what evils they will call excusable."

And finally, the quote from TV last night:
"Fairy tales do not tell us that dragons exist. We already know that dragons exist. Fairy tales tell us dragons can be beaten."

Chew on that!

2 comments:

Sabrina said...

Love your blog so much that it inspired me to create one of my own! :-) Love you girl!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing- I LOVE quotes, so this blog was great for me! You have so much in you that the world needs to hear, so I'm glad you're doing this! --Stephanie