Monday, November 09, 2009

I Never Thought I'd...

be a missionary!

I grew up in church, it was a fun church, nice people and all, but "church" never grabbed my heart. It wasn't until I was in college that I saw christianity wasn't about church, but about Jesus. About knowing Him, about loving Him. I realized church should be the place of encouragement and meeting together to meet needs and worship corporately, but not the end all.

When Jesus got a hold of me, I was compelled to serve Him. I couldn't stop finding ways to know Him better through doing His Word (Philemon 6). I went on a mission trip that changed the course of my life forever. I saw how much need there was in the world. I saw how amazing the transformation can be when someone grabs hold of Jesus. It was addicting.

I had 2 experiences that confirmed ministry was for me. The first was on a retreat with college students, where someone prayed for me and told me I was called to be an evangelist (insert image of purple-haired lady sitting on a gold chair on TBN). The other was one night on the mission trip I was listening to the worship music and it was as if everything got quiet (even though it was still loud) and I heard that still small voice. It was unmistakable. I heard God say to me "this is what you are called to do for the rest of your life." As amazing as that moment was... it freaked me out!

My first thought was that I was called to live with my hair in a bun, floor-lengthed skirts, in mud huts in Africa, alone. No thank you. (I mean if Jesus appeared and told me to do that I would, but it would take that!) Those two images (purple hair and mud huts) were all I knew of missionaries. Thankfully God started changing my view. You don't have to be on TBN to be a minister, and you don't have to move to Africa (although I appreciate those who do). EVERYONE is called to minister the gospel if they are a Christian, right where they are.

I am blessed that God has provided me to be able to do it full time, with a husband with the same passion. I am blessed and honored that God would call ME to do this! I mean, I'm far from perfect, and he STILL uses me! I never thought I'd be in ministry. But I praise God for the opportunity!

2 comments:

The Ross' said...

I love this... because I can relate to it ALOT, but mainly because of God's love and desire for us. The revelation of its about Jesus and not "church" was life changing for me as well. I'm so thankful for the way the Lord grabs hold of our hearts...in a way that one (at least I can't) deny or ignore. Thanks for sharing from the heart!

The Fishers said...

I love this series of posts. So honest, so real. Thank you, Amy, for following God's lead on your life. So many of us have been blessed because of your obedience.