Tuesday, July 15, 2008

Oh Brother...

So we ventured into the world of the boys sharing a room this week. When we were traveling they had to share a room at my parents house and it went surprisingly well, so we decided we wanted to put them in the same room when we got home. 

I sadly parted with the animal/jungle theme for Aiden's room that I loved so much and went for the Knight/Castles theme for the 2 of them (seemed like it'd last a little longer). It's also themed around the book Wild At Heart, talking about every man is born with 3 dreams in their hearts A Battle to Fight, An Adventure to Live and A Beauty to Rescue. We made an old english sign with those words on them. I'll be posting new pictures of some of the new things we got to decorate it on facebook soon. 

There are several reasons we bunked them together. One, eventually we want them sharing a room because we have a great bunk bed bedroom set that Ross grew up with getting handed down to us. Two, we really want them to bond and love each other, how can you bond any closer than sharing a room? Three, we want them to learn not to be selfish. A few others include, freeing up another room in the house for guests, work, etc., and so on. 

Anywho.... I wanted to hear your thoughts. Did you have to share a room with a sibling growing up? What were your pros/cons in doing it? Do you have your kids sleeping in the same room now? How do you get them to both fall asleep; any tips on getting them to not wake each other up?? 


6 comments:

emily said...

ooh! i can't wait to hear tips on this! ethan and caroline will be sharing a room later this year as we prepare for baby #3. i'm so glad it is working for your kiddos!! i do dread the idea of them waking each other up, but i think the pros outweigh the cons. can't wait to see pictures from the boys' cute room!!!

portorikan said...

I never had to share a room but my sisters did all their youthful lives.

I don't know how they managed cause walking into their old rooms now, it's pretty small.

Being that I was the only boy, I guess by default, I got my own room. I did on occasion have to kick out a sister from my room when I wanted to nap and noticed them sleeping in my bed, but I don't think it happened too much. I guess my bed was more comfortable. I dunno.

My room, however was the default guest room whenever we had company, so I would lose my bed for however long we had people visiting us. I don't recall ever minding it though. I ended up sleeping in my parents room on the floor on a little bed or something or in the living room.

Angel said...

My brother and I went from having separate rooms to sharing a room when we moved to the states. We had the bunk-beds where the bottom is bigger than the top. So we would take turns tying each-other up in blankets to the point of not being able to move, and rolling each-other off the top bunk and onto the bottom.

Yes, there were many times we bounced too hard off the bottom bed and landed on the floor, chair, or desk. But still, it was fun!

Flo said...

I love how the bedroom theme sounds so purpose filled! Christina and I shared a room and even a bed when we were little and into college! haha It definitely encouraged us to do a lot together.. play, share clothes, work out, talk. I think I did more of waking her up in the middle of the nights, with talking in my sleep. She was more of the mirror hog when getting ready in the mornings. And we were both messy with clothes or toys laying around. I'm looking forward to room sharing when more kids come around! ~no I'm not pregnant. =) I love seeing little kids, esp siblings interact and play together, they get so creative with their toys! You should get one of those video camera monitors to catch the entertainment!

J. Matt said...

You and I shared a room for a while when we first moved to Miami. You were probably 2 and I was 4 or 5. You kept me up all night! Spib spib spib. The sound you made sucking your thumb!

Amy Middleton said...

Angel, Thanks for bringing my fears to reality! haha... Matt, SPIB SPIB SPIB.... does it still give you nightmares?? hahaahah