Monday, July 07, 2008

I Recommend...


I had a fear of public restrooms. Not for me as much as for my potty training kid, and his curious hands and bum bum.

He has officially conquered potty training (#1 at least) so I quickly had to figure out what to do in public places when he had to go. I found this travel potty seat at WalMart and quickly fell in love.

I am surprised at how fast he caught on to going #1 every time. Besides the 2 messes the morning after Booty Camp, he hasn't skipped a beat! If only we could get #2 in the toilet, we'd be golden... any suggestions??

We have used several public restrooms, luckily the ones I have experienced in these last few days haven't been too bad, but this little seat was still a life saver. We practiced at home with it, and at first he said he felt like he was going to fall in, but after I reassured him, he got used to it. It folds up pretty small so it fits in the diaper bag nicely in a gallon baggie so it doesn't gross me out too bad... better than his little hiney sitting on "who knows what".

Now I feel like we are safe to go out and about again... he only goes #2 during nap time in his pull ups, so at least that is predictable. Otherwise he is officially wearing his big boy underwear! Woohoo! He's a Big Kid Now!

Until I can share some good tips on #2 training... I will call it quits on sharing the details of my child's bathroom habits... he'll kill me if this is circulating when he is big and famous one day!

4 comments:

Flo said...

Wait, so you didn't teach Aiden how to go #1 standing up?

Angela said...

Most toilet seats are cleaner than the door handle to get into the restroom. Just a thought, but I don't blame you for getting the seat. :-)
My son shows me when he goes #2, he has a face. He's only 20 months, but I have managed to get him to poo in the toilet twice. We aren't training him, but he did it. So try getting him to go when you see his cue.
When you do find what works for you please share, I'll be doing this before I know with my son.

Kristin Sheffield said...

I was talking to a coworker and she said that when her kids would poo in their diaper, she would take them to the bathroom and dump the poo into the toilet and say this is where we go potty and eventually they caught on. So maybe that will work for aiden too???

I am so glad the boot camp went so well :) Aiden is doing great!

Amy Middleton said...

Flo, Well, I wanted him to get the sitting down first, cause I was hoping he would start pooping soon in that position... which seemed to happen. The next task is to get him to stand up, but I'm in no hurry for that.

Angela,I've heard that before, i think it is a mental thing for me. :) I just kept encouraging him when he would try, and when he would go #2 in his underwear or pull ups I would explain how that was messy and it is cleaner and feels better to go in the potty... and bribing him seems to work... he gets a Lightning McQueen car if he gets to the next curve in the road on his potty success chart, and I told him the Big stickers he gets with #2 would get it faster. Then he actually went!

Kristin, yep, tried that- it might have actually helped too! How ya feeling??!!