Sunday, January 11, 2009

Simplifying My Life

There are just WAY too many ways to complicate life these days. Way too many ways to get caught up in the busyness, hustle and unimportant things that distract our finances and time... things that can be better spent elsewhere. Along with my resolution theme going on in my blog lately I think this is one way God is calling me to assess my life in... simplifying.

There are many ways I am accomplishing this goal... in little ways- keeping up with dishes, laundry, implementing a cleaning schedule, making a daily schedule for myself and the boys, picking and choosing the real valuable and fruitful things in my life over the time-taking, mundane, etc. So in another way to attempt to simplify our lives, my husband and I decided to sell our house.

We only built it and moved in a little over 2 years ago, so it was not an easy decision. We love this house and picked out every detail thinking long term with it. There are multiple reasons we decided this would be the wise thing to do, I won't bother you with the details, but ultimately we believe this will simplify our lives even more so that we can spend more important time and finances in more important areas right now. There will always be a chance to build a great home in the future... but we need to make sure we are being wise in our present to be able to do those great things in the future.

Anywho, the reason I write this blog is 2 fold: please be praying with us to sell this house quickly and to actually be able to make some money off it to pay off debt. AND to challenge you, where is God calling you to simplify?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow what a big decision. Sam and I have decided not to move into a house until later even though (it seems) everyone is telling us that now is the perfect time. It's hard because we see what other people have (kids, pets, getting to decorate and make it really feel like home, SPACE) and we want it, but we know it's wiser to wait until we can afford to be good stewards of those things.

I will pray that you get a great deal and will be able to make steps toward paying off debt.

I'm working on keeping things simple this year too. It's a small thing but I really think it's helping.

1. I schedule almost everything I do, esp weekdays, so the things I need to get done are done. It's working really well.

2. I have always made to-do lists and tried to cross off every item on a given day (esp Saturdays). I would make myself miserable on my only free day with a huge ridiculous list of stuff.
Now I still make lists, but I prioritize them (actually write out numbers by each item) and give myself a time limit to get the tasks accomplished. I just go in order and whatever gets done is done, whatever doesn't just wasn't a high enough priority and it will be higher on the list next time.