Friday, January 22, 2010

Using some Johnny Maxwell in the Family :)

Something we are working on in our household lately is a simple little concept known as Self-Control. I am so convicted lately because I realize that "everything rises and falls on leadership" as John Maxwell says, and that doesn't just apply to the workplace, it completely relates to family life. How I go, is how the family tends to go.

If I want my kids to show self-control, I HAVE to show it first.
This doesn't sound that a "light bulb" moment, but it is in my head. Every time I start to feel my blood pressure start to rise when the boys are getting wild, the first question that pops in my head now is "what am I doing?". It can spin out of control FAST if I don't take that second to pause and collect myself and assess.

Some tips I've heard that seem to help us with a 2 & 4 yr old are:
1. Get your kid to say the word. example: if they are being impatient and want something, make them stop and say the word "patient" and go over the definition. By the time they repeat it, it usually gets them to calm down enough that you can "talk". If it gets ugly from there, you know discipline must ensue. :) This works when trying to get them to learn any of the fruits of the Spirit.
2. The calmer you are, the quicker you see a change in their attitude. I am definitely working on. I get easily revved up, and I learned this lesson from watching the few episodes of the Duggar family with 18 kids, that mom is amazing how calm she stays in chaos.
3. Take a time out. As much as the kids may need it, I do too. :) If I don't take a few minutes to recollect myself, it's not pretty. This also goes for "time off". I don't like using that term, but it's the best way I can describe it. Taking a few hours, have someone stay with the kids (usually my hubby in my case) and decompress. My goal is to try to do that once a week.

So I in no way have it all figured out, and would love ANY tips you may have for teaching self-control and patience. This is a work in progress. :)

4 comments:

The Ross' said...

So good Amy! This has been on my mind quit a bit, I'm trying to work on staying calm and leading in peace. This has been so challenging for me lately. I've been taking more timeouts in the moment to collect myself (rather respond that react) and breaks and that seems to help. Thanks for sharing. You guys are such good parents.

Flo said...

Amen, Sista Mary Clarence! (Sister Act.. I always have this urge to say that whenever I say Amen, Sista.. sorry) Those are great tips! I've been having to apologize and ask forgiveness (a lot) to TJ when I blow up. And lately, I've added asking him to pray for me. Right now, he just looks at me with a blank stare when I put his hands on me, it makes me laugh.. Miss you guys!

Angela said...

I agree! Thank you for challenging us. I often see my kids stress out when I stress out. Gotta keep myself in check. I talked to my husband about this and he is willing to let me get out of the house so I can re-charge each week. :-)

Amy Middleton said...

So glad we're not in this alone ladies :) Thanks for the comments. Flo, yeah I hear ya about the forgiveness thing, so important and humbling. TJ is probably soaking in more than you know. :) Miss you guys too!